Thursday, October 17, 2013

Getting to Know: Mr. Greene

Let's head over to the Dean's Office and meet the Prep's new Dean of Students, Mr. Albert Greene!



Equipped with prior experience in law enforcement and charter school administration, Mr. Greene comes to the Prep with a background that serves him well in his new role. After earning bachelor's (political science) and law degrees from the University of Pittsburgh, Mr. Greene wore many hats (admission director, athletic director, dean of students, teacher) at New Media Technology Charter School. Prior to his tenure at New Media, Mr. Greene worked for the FBI. His posts include Omaha, NE and New York City, where on September 11, 2001 he witnessed the collapse of Tower 2. While sprinting away from the falling building, he said that, "in a nanosecond", thoughts about his life, his loved ones, and his God "raced through his head." Mr. Greene still has not finished decorating his office because he's waiting to find the "right picture of that day".

Why the Prep?

I chose St. Joe's Prep because of its outstanding reputation and because I was looking for new challenges. Having attended an all-boys private school, I appreciate the difference and value of single-sex education, so it seemed like a good fit. And I couldn't be happier.

What do you want Prep students to understand?

I want our students to know that yes, I'm friendly - but fair. I strive to treat all our students the same. And I want them to understand that they are expected to be respectful, responsible, and accountable.

What do you enjoy most about the job so far?

The first thing about the Prep that I noticed was the camaraderie - among both students and staff. You don't see that at other schools. I also like that there is no routine day here. Such unpredictability makes things exciting.

Outside of keeping Prep kids in line, what are some of your hobbies or interests?

I love to cook. Grilling in the summer is probably my favorite thing. I've been known to binge-watch Grill It! with Bobby Flay until 3 a.m. just to learn about a new spice rub or grilling technique. I also like to exercise - running and biking, mostly.

What's one goal you've set?

I'd like to establish what I'm calling Dean's Lunches, an informal yet structured program where I'll - slowly but surely - get to know every student in the building while also providing those students the opportunity to get to know each other.

Finally, why should a family consider St. Joe's Prep?

If you're looking for the perfect balance of a challenging curriculum and a true sense of community, then the Prep is for you.

This blog post was written by Mr. Ed Turner '00, Director of Admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment